Dear Portland Choirs Supporter,
The New York Times recently asked, “Is Music the Key to Success?” Numerous top professionals who had studied music connected it to their achievements. Many felt music had opened pathways to creativity and taught them how to collaborate and appreciate others’ points of view at the same time as it had enhanced their lives with discipline, balance, and joy.
Other studies show that school age children exposed to music education scored 22% higher in English and 20% higher in math on standardized tests (Christopher Johnson, Professor of Music Education and Music Therapy, University of Kansas, 2007).
At a time when music education is declining in our state and country, Portland Choirs has been here to fill the gap, serving over 80 families in Oregon and Washington, 11% of which receive financial support through scholarships. Please give the gift of music by donating to the Portland Choirs Annual Fund. Your tax-deductible contribution will support our mission:
to provide music education and professional-quality performance opportunities that develop self-esteem, depth of character and advanced music skills.
Ticket sales and tuition account for only 65% of the funding required to support our operations. A donation of $50, $100, $250 or more will help us reach more young people. It could also help us in these specific ways:
- $50…………covers our monthly insurance premium
- $100……….contracts a professional accompanist for one rehearsal
- $150……….hires a professional instrumentalist for one concert
- $200……….pays for sheet music for one choir for one month
- $300……….offsets web hosting and domain registration fees
- $1200……..rents vans for Ovation’s Ashland, Oregon Tour, Feb 2014
- $3800……..purchases an octave of handbells
- $15,000…..rents our own rehearsal space (adequate parking, waiting room for families, storage for music and bells.)
The dedication our students demonstrate has inspired many an audience. Some of the highlights from 2013 include:
- “Portland Singing Sensation” fundraising concert showcased our amazing and diverse singing talent
- Ovation’s CD “Look Through My Eyes” unveiled last spring
- “Give My Regards to Broadway,” a combined choir, year-end concert held at the Dolores Winningstad Theatre.
Play an important part in their continued success by donating before year’s end. In addition to the tax benefit, think of the difference you can make in the life of a child!
Donate via the link to the right, through our website (portlandchoirs.org), or by mailing a check to PO Box 6844, Portland, OR 97228. On the website is a schedule of events as well.
Laura Snyder, Executive Director
Craig Van Ness, Board President
p.s. Thank you in advance for helping Portland Choirs continue to make music education a reality.
To view this online – click here